Compelling headlines are extremely important: You have only a 1 or 2 second window of opportunity to show that your article is worth reading or that your website is worth visiting. This is the average amount of time that a reader scans an individual search item before deciding whether to click on it or move on to the next one.
Get the attention of target readers who are searching the topic you are writing about and who will be interested in your article. The headline you write should show this specific topic, drawing the reader into your blog’s or website’s content.
Tips for better headlines:
1. Use words that give the promise of a solution or beneficial information:
- “7 ways to draw more customers to your website”
- “When you should start to…”
- “How you can boost your sales”
2. Use numbers in the headline to convey a list of ideas or suggestions.
When you begin the title with such words as “10 ways to…”, a large audience will feel drawn to read such articles due of the promise of a list of suggestions or solutions.
3. Words such as “how to”, “what” and “when”
Very effective words to begin your headlines with, e.g.
- “How to Write Better Titles and Headlines”
- “What are Visitors Reading First?”
- “When are You Going to Start Your Blog?”
4. Include keywords in your headlines.
They are important because they are what your target audience is using to search / google for the answers to their questions.
5. A question in your article title is sure way to get noticed.
Questions draw attention and will encourage readers to search for answers in your article or book. They work well due to the doubts they create in the mind of the reader. They feel the need for assurance to know enough on the subject and read it to get more information.
- Is dieting really helping you to lose weight?
- Are you a savvy investor?
- Can you eat healthy at fast-food joints?
- Who Else Wants …
6. Some suggestions for eye-catching headlines:
- The Secret of …
- Here is a Method That is Helping …
- Little Known Ways of …
- Get Rid of Your …
- Here’s a Quick Way to …
- Now You Can …
- What Everybody Ought to Know About …
- Are You Ready to Learn …
- 11 Ways to Cope With …
- If you Love …
Sub-titles are equally important:
Writing for the internet is NOT the same as writing a book. Research studies confirm how user read on the web: They don’t !!! People rarely read Web pages word by word; instead, they scan the page, picking out individual words and sentences. In research on how people read websites we found that 79 percent of our test users always scanned any new page they came across; only 16 percent read word-by-word.
If you want your writing to stand out from thousands of competitors: good article, book or blog headlines and sub-titles are one of the most important things you can do to entice people to read further.
If you would like to get help in all things publishing, have your book heavily promoted and learn how to navigate social media sites: We offer all this and more for only a “token” of $2 / day for 3 months. Learn more about this individual book marketing help: http://www.111Publishing.com/seminar
Please feel free to check out all previous posts of this blog (there are 1,190 of them : ) if you haven’t already. Why not sign up to receive them regularly by email? Just click on “Follow” in the upper line on each page – and then on “LIKE” next to it. There is also the “SHARE” button underneath each article where you can submit the article to Pinterest, Google+, Twitter, Chime.in, Facebook, Tumblr and StumpleUpon.
Thanks a lot for following:
http://bit.ly/VmtVAS 111Publishing @ Google+