Many cruise travelers want more stimulating activities on days at sea than simply reclining by the pool, sitting on the bar, drinking or playing cards. A growing number of cruise lines are adding programs – interactive workshops, lectures from experts, culinary demonstrations and seminar presentations on a variety of topics.
Carnival Cruise Lines added a Seminar for Writers at the brand new “Breeze”, which departs on November 3, 2013 from Miami into the Caribbean. Stops will be in:
– Nassau, Bahamas
– Grand Turk
– Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Why is it a fantastic possibility for writers to spend their vacation (or part of it) on a Caribbean cruise and learn at the same time about publishing and book marketing?
1. Before you start your NaNoWri Month, learn which publishing possibilities are out there and how you could create your author platform – before your book is ready to publish.
2. November is a great vacation month in the Caribbean, and at this time of the year cruises are more for adults as the school year is in full swing.
3. Spoil the author in your life and have this event booked before Valentines Day – as it is a fantastic gift for your loved one, better than any chocolates or over-priced dinners. What you pay for a Valentine evening out is almost the down payment for this cruise!
4. This unique “Workshop-At-Sea” will help authors to:
- Strategically establish a writing career
- Create their own brand and platform
5. The seminar gives writers suggestions:
- How to market and publicize their books on a budget or for FREE
- Find book publishing funding sources, grants and writers residencies
6. The seminar will help you to:
- Identify their target readers and
- how to reach these potential book buyers, without incurring costs
7. As a Special Guest at this “Seminar Cruise” you qualify for Discount Rates on spectacular shore excursions, such as to the cascading waterfalls of Dunn’s River, near Ocho Rios, Jamaica, or diving excursions on Grand Turk’s protected coral reef.
8. This Book Marketing & Publishing Seminar will be held during the days at sea – two half-day lectures – and offers as an added value, one-on-one consultations for authors.
9. Staterooms in this time-limited offer are unobstructed and in preferred categories and include the amazing exclusive events / amenities, outlined in #11
10. For this 6 Night Cruise, spouses who are not participating in the seminar, get a reduction of $200 for their fares. Prices are “Per Person” and include all port charges, government fees, taxes and mandatory pre-paid gratuities. The Carnival website and most other online cruise sites do NOT include these “extra” charges…but this special offer rates DO!
11. Signing up with the cruise representative requires only a down payment of $250 per person, the remaining is due latest to the end of July 2013. Packages start at $1.032 per person for a double, and $832 for those who are not attending the seminar.
12. Authors who established a writing business can partially deduct costs for the cruise, such as the two days at sea, the seminar fee (which is included in the faire) and transportation / accommodation to Miami. For details ask your tax advisor.
13. Cruise voyages are very inclusive and offer great value:
- Brand new attractive staterooms
- Transfer to Miami pier
- A bottle of Sparkling Wine in every stateroom
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries in every stateroom
- FREE Photograph Credit for every stateroom
- An Onboard Bon Voyage “Meet & Greet” Party
- Two Book Marketing Success Workshops plus individual consultations
- A Private Farewell Party with champagne toast
- Your cruise certainly includes all your meals in the regular dining venues, a smorgasbord of on-board entertainment including Vegas style shows/musical performances/comedy & variety shows, and some beverages (coffee/tea/juices).
If the idea of taking a publishing and book marketing class and experiencing the pleasures of cruising at the same time appeals to you, you can conveniently and safely book your reservation online at http://Writers.TheCruiseEvent.com or call Dancing Moon Travel (404) 913-4FUN
Cruise ships to the Caribbean fill up months in advance. Our experience shows that many of the best and preferred cabins will be reserved within just a few weeks!! Plus, there are several other niche groups scheduled to be on board. If you are considering cruising with us, register now.
If you enjoyed this blog post, please feel free to check out all previous posts of this blog (there are almost 600 of them : ) if you haven’t already. Why not sign up to receive them regularly by email? Just click on “Follow” in the upper line on each page – and then on “LIKE” next to it. There is also the “SHARE” button underneath each article where you can submit the article to Pinterest, Google+, Twitter, Chime.in, Facebook, Tumblr and StumpleUpon.
Follow on Twitter: @111publishing
And don’t forget to spread the word on other social networking sites of your choice for other writers who might also enjoy this blog and find it useful. Thanks, Doris
Writers Retreats USA in 2012
One of the main benefits of attending a writers retreat or conference is the opportunity to meet editors, agents, publishers and other writers. Widening your circle of connections in the literary world can help you mark your own presence in that world, learn about the publishing industry, and how to get your book published. Just a few of the many retreat offers:
Jackson Hole, WY, June 28 – 30, 2012
Three manuscript critiques with authors & editors. Tracks for fiction, creative nonfiction, magazine, young adult, and poetry; workshops, talks & craft sessions.
Program Length 3 days
Group Size or S:T Ratio 4:1
Program Focus: Children’s, Fiction, Journalism, Marketing, Mystery, Nature, Non-fiction, Poetry, Publishing, Travel, Young Adult
Costs: Early bird $365
Mendocino Coast Writers Conference, July 26 – 28, 2012
5 morning workshops with same presenter each day; large forum readings and discussions with editors, agents, & newly published authors; afternoon lecture sessions on craft.
Program Length 3 days
Group Size or S:T Ratio workshops 15:1
Program Focus: Autobiography/Memoir, Children’s, Fiction, Journalism, Mystery, Non-fiction, Poetry, Publishing, Screenwriting, Young Adult
Faculty 13+ presenters. Includes authors, editors & literary agents.
Costs: Earlybird $525. $60/consultation. Lodging $55-$250 & camping; hostel-like farmhouse $18-$25/night.
Squaw Valley, California July, August 2012
Morning workshops, afternoon panel discussions, individual conferences, craft lectures, staff readings
Program Length 7 days
Group Size or S:T Ratio 20-124
Program Focus: Autobiography/Memoir, Fiction, Mystery, Nature, Non-fiction, Poetry and Screenwriting
Faculty 28 instructors for the Fiction Workshop, 5 for the Poetry Workshop, 8 for the Screenwriting Workshop.
Costs: $840 includes 6 dinners. Shared (single) lodging in local houses & condos arranged for $350 ($550)/week; inexpensive bunk bed available.
Purchase, NY June 25 – 29, 2012
Five 3-hour morning workshops in a particular genre (Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Poetry,Writing for Young Readers, Graphic Novel). Afternoons include special workshops, readings, session with editors & agents, and individual manuscript consultation.
Program Length 4-1/2 days
Group Size or S:T Ratio 80-100
Program Focus: Autobiography/Memoir, Children’s, Fiction, Marketing, Non-fiction, Poetry, Publishing, Screenwriting, Young Adult
Costs: $725 for the week. 2 graduate credits are also available for graduate tuition (extra fee).
Edmonds, WA, September 30 – October 2, 2011
Focus is on the craft of writing. 4 sessions/day & a choice of 4 workshops/session; Saturday keynote, pre-conference workshops on Friday.
Program Length 2-1/2 days
Group Size or S:T Ratio Max 200
Program Focus: Autobiography/Memoir, Business/Technical, Children’s, Fiction, Horror, Humor, Journalism, Marketing, Mystery, Non-fiction, Poetry, Publishing, Travel, Young Adult
Faculty: 30 additional presenters speaking on a variety of topics.
Costs: $139/2 days ($116 early bird), $72/1 day. Pre-conference workshops $68, writing contest entry $10, manuscript critique $25, Keynote (open to the public) $16 adult/$10 student.
Santa Barbara, CA, June 9 – 14, 2012
Daily AM & PM concurrent workshops & plenary sessions, evening speakers, panels, Advance
Submission with agents & editors, late-night pirate workshops.
Program Length 6 days
Group Size or S:T Ratio 200
Program Focus: Autobiography/Memoir, Fiction, Humor, Journalism, Marketing, Mystery, Nature, Non-fiction, Playwriting, Poetry, Publishing, Romance, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Screen-writing, Travel,
Faculty: 30 daily faculty plus evening speakers
Costs $625 includes barbecue, cocktail reception, awards banquet.
Corte Madera, CA, August 9 – 12, 2012
(Just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco)
Conference Coordinator: Kathryn Petrocelli
Phone: (800) 999-7909 ext 239
Geared to Food & Travel writers and photographers this Conference has an extraordinary, international reputation among publishers, editors, and writers. This four-day Conference offers an array of writing and photography workshops in the morning, a full afternoon of panels and discussions, and evening faculty presentations.
The faculty includes publishers, magazine editors, photographers, travel essayists, food writers, guidebook writers and more.
Key West, FL, every January
4-day seminar includes readings, conversations, lectures, panel discussions. 4-day writers’ workshops feature AM writing sessions (limit 8-12/instructor) and PM individual consultations, talks, open readings.
Program Length Seminar: 4 days / Workshops: 4 days each
Group Size or S:T Ratio Seminar: 350-400 / Workshops: 12:1
Autobiography/Memoir, Children’s, Fiction, Humor, Journalism, Mystery, Nature, Non-fiction, Playwriting, Poetry, Publishing, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Screenwriting, Travel, Young Adult
Costs Seminar $495; Workshops $450.
For a full list of writers retreats in the USA go to: http://writing.shawguides.com
Share this: sendtokindle
Posted by ebooksinternational on April 19, 2011 in comment on posts, googling social, join the conversation, post to public, posting, Publishing, Retreats, Seminars
Tags: Autobiography/Memoir, Book Passage, Corte Madera, Editors, Edmonds WA, Fiction, Food & Travel Writers, full list of writers retreats, Guide Book Writers, Humor, Jackson WY, Journalism, Key West FL, Literary Agents, Marketing, Mendocino CA, Mystery, Nature, Non-fiction, Purchase NY, Santa Barbara CA, Screen Writing, Squaw Valley CA, Travel Essays, USA writers retreats, writers conferences in the USA