Unfortunately, many accomplished published authors skip this powerful marketing tool – or don’t know about it. Once your book goes live on Amazon you are eligible for an Amazon Author Central Account. Best of all: There is no advertising on the site, just a (great large) image of your book, your reviews and the book description.
Not only get your website a very high page rank, Author Central tools are very effective in marketing your Kindle books and promoting yourself as a published author.
How to set up your Amazon Author Central Account
Once published, expect to receive an email from Kindle Direct Publishing announcing the news and inviting you to create your Amazon Author Central Account. Note your book ASIN enclosed in the email. You will need this to locate your book later and associate it to you as the author.
You need separate accounts for the UK and US versions of Amazon; you have to do everything twice, and be aware that the two versions vary slightly.
Just sign up for free accounts on both sites and follow the instructions to set up your page:
- Add an author photo (and additional photos)
- Add your books
- Add a biography (make sure to update this accordingly)
- Add a blog RSS feed (a great way to get your blog in front of new people and encourage them to follow you – currently only at the US version)
- List events, such as book readings or book launches
- Add videos (trailers for your books)
- Add your Twitter address so people can see your latest Tweet and easily follow you
- Set up the “Search Inside/Look Inside” feature
- Add your photo & biography. Be the ‘face’ of your book.
- Link your blog – Import your blog using the RSS or Twitter feed.
- View and edit the list of books you have written – the Amazon system doesn’t always get it right. If you have written more than one book, it will link your titles together, and allow your readers to find all of your work.
- Edit your product description and about the author section, add any professional reviews you have had.
- Track Your Sales – Find out where your sales are happening using the geographic location function and find out your Amazon ranking.
One of the biggest advantages as an Amazon Kindle published Author is your eligibility to create an Amazon Author Central Account. This means that you are offered your own web page, complete with a URL that you specify, on a powerful Amazon website just for you.