However, in order for your book to have a chance to get it in front of enough readers (and reviewers) you need to promote it heavily. There are many ways to do this without incurring any costs, just your time. One easy way, beside all the social media sites, is to promote it on Amazon directly.
Browse Kindle forums and boards and become an active member, preferably before you even finish your book. This gives you enough time to get acquainted with the whole process, to be known as an author and to show off your book as soon as it is available.
There are great places to network with book lovers and authors. Don’t just promote your book, but aim to add to the community as well. It’s a fine line between sharing information about your book, starting to sound like a used car salesman, and outright spamming. Again: Become a member of the community, participate in discussions, let others know what you are reading and tell about your writing experiences, etc. Don’t use KindleBoards solely as an advertising platform for your book.
KindleBoards Tips and FAQ for authors
Authors: get to know these tips and tools available on KindleBoards:
What are the forum procedures to promote my book?
KindleBoards is a great place for authors to promote their work. But before you post, know our rules of the Forum Decorum.
How do I put a linked book cover in my post?
You can make book cover links and text links, for your book using our Link-Maker.
How do I make a signature that includes clickable images of my book covers?
Click here for a tutorial http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,46766.0.html on how to make linked text and book cover graphics.
How do I let readers open an online sample of my book?
One easy way is to use our sample page. Just put your book’s ASIN into the following link: http://www.kindleboards.com/sample/?asin=XXXXXXXXXX
How do I get a profile page for my book and appear on the KB Books page?
A profile page is a clean web page for your book – with no distracting links or menu options. Everything on the page is all about your book – just put your ASIN into the following link:
You can even customize it, using the Author Control Panel, to add other links to your book, video trailers, and more:
- It features a large display of your book cover (500-pixels high).
- It includes your current book description and current customer reviews from Amazon.
- It (optionally) displays an online sample of your work right in the browser.
- You can customize your book’s profile page, with an author message, video trailer, links to other purchase sites, and many more options.
Check it out by clicking the Author Control Panel link, which is in the lower right corner of your book’s profile page. And while you’re there, be sure to set the right genre for your book… this is what KindleBoards uses for its “KB Books” lists of authors and books.
Is there an easy way for readers or authors to recommend my book through Facebook or Twitter? Yes. Use the “Like it!” page.
Short Intro from the Forum Decorum
Excerpt from the guidelines about getting the word out about your books:
- You may post one thread about your book, in the Book Bazaar board in “Writers’ Café” You can use that thread to introduce your book, include a brief review, etc.”
- Authors are strongly encouraged to use the link maker to include a link with a cover of their book, which takes interested folks directly to Amazon where people can read reviews, sample the book and buy it if they want.
- You are welcome to keep your thread “lively” by posting information about your book (reviews, author interviews, etc.) – but do not do so more than once per week. Of course, you can always reply to comments from others in the thread.
- Links to your website. You may have a discrete link to your site in your signature, subject to the signature guidelines.
Generally, you may have text and/or graphics in your signature, including hyperlinked text and graphics. A signature, in length and height, can be no larger than approx.10 lines. It is 89 default font characters wide and 10 default font characters high. That’s about 800 x 140 pixels. This is enough for book covers, plus two lines of plain text.
Another way to promote your book: Kindle Book Corner.
Let others do the promotion and recommend your book! This is a fantastic means for your friends, family and fans to show support and to recommend your book including an image of the cover. It is for quick recommendations, like you are sitting with a friend at dinner and you say “Hey, I just finished this amazing book and I think you would love it!”