A book that is brilliantly written, but lacks a good quality cover design will sadly remain unnoticed and undiscovered.
Therefore it is absolutely crucial, especially if you are publishing your own book, to have a book cover that grabs attention.
Book Covers are often challenging to design as they should show the heart and the soul of the book in one single image and at the same time should be visually striking, appealing and represent the book’s contents.
Will your e-book cover get judged in the same way? Certainly! This is why you really need to focus on the visual design aspect of your cover, because most people will not give it a second glance if it just does not look professional.
Here are some topics you should discuss with your designer.
• Use bold or complementary colors
• Use light on dark for dramatic effects (if it fits to your book content)
• Test the cover in thumbnail size to make sure it looks good at Amazon’s website
• Use not more than different two fonts in total
• Your name and book title should be distinguished from each other by either size, color, or font
• Use not too wide vertical spaces between lines of text
• Use very few shadow, bevel, gradient or glow – keep it subtle
• Align the cover text – centre, left or right
• Place text on plain background to stand out
• Use the same fonts for all your books and readers will be able to identify them easily
• People read left to right, top to bottom. Position your elements in appropriate levels of importance.
• Never, ever, use a white background! White on white is barely visible and your book will not stick out.
You never get a second chance for a first good impression!
- Don’t use “flat” text – it is almost always better to add some shadow, bevel, gradient or glow.
- Using various colors, filters, and effects available in Illustrator and Photoshop, you or your book designer can create book titles that are both, original and effective. Remember always: Your title and its appearance is the first, and perhaps only, impression you make on a prospective reader.
A great image on your e-book cover will undoubtedly catch your reader’s imagination, wondering what lies beyond the cover. It’s a great opportunity to draw people in.