1. Discover your niche: As a self-publisher you will most likely find the biggest success by narrowly defining your market niche. It is much easier to become an expert in a very specific market where it is much less crowded.
2. To start with an ebook is the smartest way to get started. It is fast and inexpensive. It is the perfect way to dip your toes into the water and see how comfortable it is. It also allows you to make any changes or corrections well before sending your book to a print-on-demand printer and distributors.
3. Set-up your blog and create a website: Once you figure out what your niche is, start your free WordPress blog right away. This will get your creative juices flowing.
4. Start your next book: Now that you have accomplished the previous steps, keep improving your business. Never stop learning about marketing and promotion.
5. Realize that this is a business: Self-publishing can be your side-business, main business, or even be your hobby. But you must still run it like a business, but eep your current job. Learn the basics of management, marketing, sales, public relations and accounting. Research what will be involved in self-publishing.
Get the most popular books about self-publishing, e.g. those by Dan Poynter, Peter Bowerman, Aaron Shepard. Visit popular self-publishing blogs, such as TheWellfedWriter.com, TheBookDesigner.com, Savvybookwriters.wordpress.com, and SpanNet.org.